As we approach the last few metres of the year, it’s good to take a moment to look back at what the year has been all about. What’s clear is that Skandino’s year was not lacking in momentum. Hold on to your hats, because we’re about to take a look back together at what has happened during this fast-paced year!
The pieces the year was built from
- Early this year, the final clean results of all critical testings arrived from independent laboratories.
- After six years of product development, finally, on the World Wildlife Day, March 3rd, Skandino tableware was launched in Finland. The products were highly popular, which is why the first batch sold out in less than one week.
- The first major challenge was faced when a stevedores’ strike halted port operations. During the strike our biomaterial got stuck in the terminal.
- The national Taito Shop chain started as a retailer for Skandinos. Soon they were joined by a number of other gift and children’s goods stores around Finland.
- The individual entrepreneurship became a dual entrepreneurship when Emmi and Samuel signed a partnership agreement.
- TV channel Nelonen contacted us and asked for us to apply for the Finnish version of Shark Tank programme.
- We applied, got into the programme and our episode premiered on Nelonen on October 30th 2023.
- In the programme, we got 4 out of 5 investors excited about Skandino and they submitted an investment offer, which we ultimately did not accept because the valuation was too low.
- When the episode premiered, our website received 50 000 hits in few minutes and the whole site crashed for a while!
- We had a modest start with attending fairs by attending the world’s largest B2B baby products fair in Cologne, Germany. During the event we attracted a lot of interest from international distributors.
- By the end of 2023, Skandinos are sold not only in Finland but also in Portugal, Germany, France, the Czech Republic and Lithuania.
- Discussions on distribution cooperation with Spain, Italy, Sweden, Switzerland, Japan and the USA are ongoing.
- In the domestic area, Suomalainen Kirjakauppa became a retailer of Skandinos at the end of the year.
- A private equity firm invested in Skandino and we signed a new shareholder agreement.
- And finally, thanks to internationalisation projects and recruitment training, we have been able to boost Skandino’s growth, so that a one-woman company has suddenly become a team of 5 people!
A lot of progress has been made, big steps in the right direction have been taken, but there is still a lot of bank debt and a long road ahead. Needless to say, we cannot wait to see what 2024 will bring. What is certain, is that we will not let the pace slow down during the coming year! Thank you for being part of our journey and story!
Happy New Year 2024! Let’s dream big also next year!